The innovative GreenGuard Horse Grazing Muzzle is perfect for horses that need extra help reducing their food intake. The patented design of the GreenGuard grazing muzzle, with no opening in the centre, does not allow horses to graze easily through the middle of the muzzle. The design also allows for easy breathing and drinking while being worn.
With multiple intake spots (front, side, and back) the horse has to work to get food (similar to using a slow feed hay net) and it also reduces the wear on the muzzle in a single place. Pressure points on the horses nose can impact their air intake, so the square rigid design of the Greenguard grazing muzzle allows a lot of room across the nostril of the horse, perfect for horses as it does not sit on the nostril, allowing complete air flow to the nose.
With four straps, the muzzle is completely adjustable to the length of nose of your horse, and if they happen to break them, are easily replaced.
Sizes Mini/small pony (3.5 inch), pony/small cob (4 inch) and horse/large horse (5 inch) – Use the bit size of your horse as a guide (not their halter size).
- Rigid design means it is less likely to rub
- Does not absorb water like web muzzles so reduces chance of rubbing
- More even wear over time as it has multiple holes (the horse does not focus on just the one hole in the middle)
GRAZING MUZZLE USE AND RISK OF TEETH WEAR: ALL GRAZING MUZZLES POSE SOME RISK OF TEETH WEAR due to the fact that horses’ teeth may rub against the interior surface of the muzzle. Risk for teeth wear is increased in pastures with sandy and/or coarse soil and in horses with misaligned teeth, those that crib, windsuck, and/or chew wood, older horses, and horses that are not receiving proper or regular dental care. While using a grazing muzzle, you should check your horse’s front teeth weekly and if there are any signs of abnormal wear, discontinue use of the muzzle.
PLEASE NOTE: The grazing muzzle will not prevent founder or laminitic episodes from happening. The muzzle is designed to reduce grass intake. The Greenguard grazing muzzle is not recommended for use when the grass is shorter than 2 inches in length.
All grazing muzzles can potentially wear on your horse/pony teeth – we recommend checking teeth weekly and ensuring your grazing muzzle is clear from feed, sand or dirt build up. It is a good idea to clean your grazing muzzle once a week.
- Ensure the Greenguard logo is facing forward with 3 slots running across the front of the horse / pony nose.
- Attach all 4 straps to your halter – 1 on the noseband, 2 on either side and 1 at the rear. Ensure the buckles are on the outside section of the strap.
- Adjust the straps so that the muzzle sits parallel to the horse / pony grazing area. The muzzle should sit approximately 1 inch away from the horse / pony mouth. Ensure the muzzle is not fitted up against the horse / pony teeth. This is important as you don’t want it sitting too low where there is a lot of movement of the muzzle and you don’t want it too tight where it is
- Watch your horse / pony for 10 minutes and in this time you should see the horse/pony moving and learning how to graze with the muzzle
Should you require any further information on any of our products, please do not hesitate to contact us